IDS mailing list archives

Re: IDS vs Application Proxy Firewall

From: Stefano Zanero <zanero () elet polimi it>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2008 20:17:18 +0200

"Zow" Terry Brugger wrote:

Absolutely, which I think underscores the point I was driving at, but
never actually said, which is that the difference between the devices
is primarily that of what network layer it's operating at.

Then we apparently disagree, but agree in the substance :)

to IPS, and I'd be hard pressed to name a network IDS that didn't have
an active response version or add-on.

But as Renaud Bidou pointed out in a great presentation which I cannot
currently find, an IPS has substantially different focuses from an IDS,
and therefore its evaluation ought to be handled completely differently.

(found it: www.iv2-technologies.com/~rbidou/HowToTestAnIPS.pdf)
research systems using more advanced techniques. Of course, we don't
currently have the means to quantitatively test such systems, which is
where my current research interests lie.

We don't have a way to meaningfully test any IDS system, for that:
http://www.first.org/conference/2007/papers/zanero-stefano-paper.pdf

So any further thought to that area is definitely welcome :)

SZ

Test Your IDS

Is your IDS deployed correctly?
Find out quickly and easily by testing it
with real-world attacks from CORE IMPACT.
Go to http://www.coresecurity.com/index.php5?module=Form&action=impact&campaign=intro_sfw
to learn more.