IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort with an expert system

From: Martin Roesch <roesch () sourcefire com>
Date: Mon, 20 Apr 2009 13:51:14 -0400

I think the best way to reduce false positives is proactively at
tune-time.  If you look into my rhetoric regarding "target-based" IDS
(and IPS) you'll see that I've been espousing a position where false
positives are an artifact of poorly tuned engines.  You have two
options to try to rectify this issue:

1) Better tuning, preferably based on intelligence surrounding the
attributes of devices in the defended network and automation to bring
that info to the sensor technology.

2) Post-detection contextualization utilizing vulnerability mapping
and automated methods for assessing the relevance of events versus the
composition of the target that they're aimed at.

I think that method 1 is potentially stronger than 2 because it not
only reduces false positives, it also reduces false negatives by
reducing the informational disparity between the attacker and the
defending sensor technology.

Regarding your question, if you turn on any of the rule sets blindly
you're going to get a lot of noise (false positives) due to the lack
of tuning so to some degree they're all equally appropriate.  Probably
choosing the rules that cover protocols you're most comfortable with
makes the most sense though so you can understand the nature of the
data they're generating.

Marty

On Sat, Apr 18, 2009 at 11:07 AM, Stephen Mullins