IDS mailing list archives

Re: PCI DSS 11.1 - ".. deploying a wireless IDS/IPS..". Kismet+Snort?

From: Jason <securitux () gmail com>
Date: Fri, 24 Apr 2009 15:40:42 -0400

The purpose of that requirement is to detect rogue AP's attached to
the cardholder data network and has nothing at all to do with existing
wireless infrastructure, so no you can't bypass it. I think you might
be thinking of one of the other requirements surrounding scope.

Taras, Chris's suggestion may work. Personally as an assessor I would
be borderline with RogueScanner... There are lots of ways to mask a
rogue AP from a wired network if someone wants to. I'd have to see how
it works.

We've used AirDefense which works real well, not free unfortunately.
If you have a wireless environment that uses Cisco AP's for example
and you have complete coverage, the legit AP's will detect rogue AP's
and cover that requirement off. I even bought a Linksys AP a few weeks
ago that has rogue AP detection... it's not uncommon.

Honestly depending on the size of your environment, walking around
with a scanner might be more cost effective.

-J

On Thu, Apr 23, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Gary Everekyan