IDS mailing list archives

Re: Snort with an expert system

From: Tomas Olsson <tol () sics se>
Date: Tue, 30 Jun 2009 15:23:08 +0200

So after the precious discussion, I have the following questions:

* Would the following setup be useful (interesting enough to be used)?
(a) a set of sensors reporting "interesting" events from traffic and from hosts (e.g. from NIDS, HIDS, etc.), and then (b) we use an anomaly detector to detect unusual patterns in these events (c) (To make it completely useful, we must contextualize the alerts but that is kind of a next step).

* Would a third step be interesting?
(d) asses the probability that the unusual pattern is an attack based on previous classifications

* Richard suggests that a IDS should have been called a "Attack Indication System" instead. However, to test such as system, we would not still need to be able to see how many real attacks it can detect, so it would still be tested as an IDS?

/Tomas

Securing Your Online Data Transfer with SSL.
A guide to understanding SSL certificates, how they operate and their application. By making use of an SSL certificate
on your web server, you can securely collect sensitive information online, and increase business by giving your
customers confidence that their transactions are safe.
http://www.dinclinx.com/Redirect.aspx?36;5001;25;1371;0;1;946;9a80e04e1a17f194