Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: it\'s all about timing

From: full-disclosure () lists netsys com (Steven M. Christey)
Date: Mon, 5 Aug 2002 21:16:53 -0400 (EDT)

choose.a.username () hushmail com said:

Who is doing who the favor. Someone who spends hundereds of dollars or
thousands of dollars and finds a problem in that vendors product. Or
the vendor for allowing you, the customer, to buy their product? You
should be honored by giving your hard earned money to me the
vendor. Here take my product and tough shit if it doesn't work well.

How about fuck the vendor. Find a bug, post away 0-day? Or give me
money back for the defective product you sold me plus compensation for
the time and effort it took me to fix the problems your software did
on my machine.

I'm just curious, do people on this list think that freeware vendors
should be treated differently than this?  Do you think they should be
given more (or less) time to address the issues?  How about commercial
vendors whose products are open source?  How much does a vendor's past
performance (or the perception of past performance) come into play?

- Steve