Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Organization for Internet Safety (OIS) form ally announced

From: ron.ogle () thomson net (Ogle Ron (Rennes))
Date: Tue, 1 Oct 2002 19:01:46 +0200

You do notice that MITRE is NOT a member.  Why?  MITRE is mostly a US
Government sponsored organization, and the US Government through Richard
Clark has basically endorsed vulnerability discovery and hacking to put
pressure on companies to produce better software.  Kind of ironic, but the
tactic seems to be working.

The point is that Steven speaks for himself not that of MITRE.  So if the
security community doesn't put any credence or trust (Microsoft?) into this
group, then it is good as dead on arrival.  It is clear that the US
Government will not back it.

The threat would be that Microsoft with its billions would lobby Congress to
enact some type of law.  So we have to be vigilant and poignant from a
grass-roots level and let the Congressmen know what is right.

Ron Ogle
Rennes, France