Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Fwd: Internet Security Update

From: KF <dotslash () snosoft com>
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 09:36:34 -0500

I don't see any reason for a Microsoft patch to contain refrences to Kazaa either... there seems to be several dns hostnames in the executable as well... of course strings is not a valid method for determining if this binary is virii or not...
-KF

Brad Knowles wrote:

Folks,

I don't think this is a real Microsoft security announcement (they wouldn't be likely to be sent via an unknown IP address over in the space owned by hiwaay.net), but it does appear to be the result of a hoax, a virus, or a Trojan Horse that I have not yet heard of.

I've done various searches via Google and on the web sites of the anti-virus vendors, and haven't turned up anything on this issue. Have I missed something?

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html