Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: [ISN] DARPA pulls OpenBSD funding

From: yossarian <yossarian () planet nl>
Date: Sun, 20 Apr 2003 17:05:22 +0200

is getting really hard. Anyway, underneath it is probably US anyway.
Another
customer decided to get rid of american crypto software, since he is
afraid
of economic espionage by No such 'n such Agency, helping his us based
competitors. The Brussels incident didn't really help here.These
politically

So, what does he use for UNIX password encryption; MD5 (Ron Rivest, USA)
or Blowfish (Bruce Schneier, USA)?  For PGP hashes?

IDEA is russian, and the password hashes are not obvious to him, so no issue
yet. But moving to IDEA is a distinct possibility - the PGP used already is
IDEA, but also MD5. Viz-a-viz Blowfish - having to decide on what block
cipher is interesting, we are to move to AES, - belgian, made by these very
friendly people in Leuven. The fact that the US adopted it, does not make it
US. Belgium being a strong opposer to Bush' politics makes it a very good
possibility. Will look in these people's other work as well, SHARK and
SQUARE.

- but ah, implementations... any cryptosystem out there uses a combination
of ciphers
for its various roles, so going around MD5 or SHA will be harder, SHA being
NIST stuff.but I need a MAC.

It's a little difficult to completely avoid US products in the
encryption field.  And if your response is along the lines of "Open
Source, can't hide anything", I'll save time and summarize my rebuttal
now; DES, Differential Cryptanalysis, NSA, 20 years.

DES was built, when the Lucifer-project was partly manned by them, all they
did was withhold the weakness found for 12 years. And no, i am not an open
source kind of person, but i feel it is being forced on me by circumstances.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html