Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re[2]: pissed off

From: "Steve Wray" <steve.wray () paradise net nz>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2003 09:47:15 +1200

And the fact that software companies can get away with
claiming to have no liability for the fitness of their products
means that they can continue to produce and sell and make millions
out of their defective products.

From the Unix Haters Handbook;

<quote>
Real standards ... are for physical objects like steel beams: they let
designers order a part and incorporate it into their design with
foreknowledge of how it will perform under real-world conditions.
"If a beam fails in service, then the builder's lawyers call the beam
maker's lawyers to discuss things like compensatory and punitive
damages."
Apparently, the threat of liability keeps most companies honest; those
who aren't honest presumably get shut down soon enough.
<end quote>

Somehow an entire industry has arisen with no concept of liability
and, therefore, with no concept of honesty.

No honesty *at* *all*