Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Administrivia: Binary Executables w/o Source

From: Andreas Gietl <a.gietl () e-admin de>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 01:09:37 +0200

On Tuesday 19 August 2003 00:26, Drew Copley wrote:

I think it may not be a good idea to send binaries to the list, because lot of
companies run antivirus-gateways at their smtp-server and would reject the
message, so the recipient would be cut off the information. Today sb sent a
copy of the Win32/Nachi-Worm - as  i requested - to the list. I got about 20
mails from av-mail-gateways. I did not expect to get the virus on - the -
list and especially not sent via mail. Next time i gonna state that in my
mail - i apologize for the Inconvenience todays nachi may have caused to you.

If anybody is stupid enough to run a binary file from here they deserve
any negative consequences which may result from that.

Okay, I know other people are thinking that because it is just so true.

This said, someone sent a copy of this lastest fixer msblast variant. I
appreciated that. But, proper netiquette says to not send binaries nor
pictures to internet lists (newsgroups or mailing lists). It is best to
send by url, such urls are very valuable.

(Personally, I have never cared about binaries nor pictures being sent
as long as their size were small... It is just html email which I hate.)

--
e-admin internet gmbh
Andreas Gietl                                            tel +49 941 3810884

PGP/GPG-Key unter http://www.e-admin.de/gpg.html

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html