Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: [Fwd: Edwards AFB shut down by W32Blaster] (fwd)

From: "Schmehl, Paul L" <pauls () utdallas edu>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 10:02:02 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Stephen Clowater [mailto:steve () stevesworld hopto org]
Sent: Wednesday, August 20, 2003 9:16 AM
To: Schmehl, Paul L; full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] [Fwd: Edwards AFB shut down by
W32Blaster] (fwd)

And the people who run unix networks, well, the sysadmins
usally are spolied.
They can leave that solaris box running 34 proccessors in the
corner, and
have any other box talk to it without trouble. So when it
goes down, after
sitting in a corner and not being touched physically for
about 2 years,

Spoiled is right.  And I have to beat on them severely to get them to
understand that they *too* must patch their boxes.  It used to be a
bragging point to say "my box has been up for 2398 days without a
crash".  Now it's just a sign of stupidity.  *No* OS can go without
patching for more than 30 days anymore.  It's simply not safe.

I'll grant you, Windows is way worse than all the others, and a much
bigger PITA besides, but all of them must be patched, regularly,
routinely, frequently, or you will be owned.  The problem is that way to
many *nix admins still think it's OK to be up for 2398 days without
patching.  (And yes, I *do* know that many patches merely require a kill
-HUP.  Not all do.  You can't use a new kernel until you reboot, and all
you need to do is look at the security notices for new kernels to
realize that that alone is a regular occurrence.)

Paul Schmehl (pauls () utdallas edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member