Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Sobig has a surprise...

From: David Vincent <david.vincent () mightyoaks com>
Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 18:28:22 -0700

All the experts were totally faked out. While everyone was
concentrating on getting the "magic 20" machines shut down,
no one realized that different copies of Sobig.f had
different lists of servers to contact.

We put a block of udp port 8998 on our firewall this morning.
We had 3 previously undetected infected machines on our
network, each of which tried to contact a different list of
20 machines. One of the lists corresponds to the one that
Sophos and others have published. The other two lists have no
addresses in common with the published list, or with each other.

care to publish those ips?

I wonder how many different sets of servers there were, how
many different variants of Sobig.f there were, and how many
infected machines now have some additional trojan, worm, or
ddos code waiting for a command to do something.

<insert theme from "jeopardy">

-d

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html