Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Bill Gates blames the victim

From: Florian Weimer <fw () deneb enyo de>
Date: Sun, 31 Aug 2003 21:12:57 +0200

"Richard M. Smith" <rms () computerbytesman com> quotes Mr. Gates:

And ducking questions by blaming the victim:

   Q. "The buffer overrun flaw that made the Blaster worm
   possible was specifically targeted in your code reviews
   last year. Do you understand why the flaw that led to
   Blaster escaped your detection?"

   A. "Understand there have actually been fixes for all of
   these things before the attack took place. The challenge
   is that we've got to get the fixes to be automatically
   applied without our customers having to make a special effort."

The "all of these things" part is not correct, according to several
press reports.

<http://www.computerworld.com/securitytopics/security/holes/story/0,10801,79626,00.html>

<http://news.zdnet.co.uk/business/0,39020645,2132071,00.htm>

| A hacker last week exploited a previously unknown vulnerability in
| Microsoft Corp.'s Windows 2000 operating system to gain control of a
| military Web server, and the extent of the damage done is still
| unknown.

<http://www.fcw.com/fcw/articles/2003/0317/web-hack-03-18-03.asp>

There's still an unpatched RPC vulnerability (however, only DoS has
been publicly demonstrated so far):

<http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/archive/bugtraq/2003/07/msg00254.html>

Of course, it's convenient to ignore such problems and declare that
regularly applied patches pave the way to secure software.  But
patching is a countermeasure that is merely in vogue right now.  It's
just a question of time when this approach will break in a very
obvious manner (that cannot be blamed on sloppy system administration
easily), and we have to try something different.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html