Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: The MSBlast Conspiracy Theory

From: Joey <joey2cool () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 15 Aug 2003 00:52:57 -0700 (PDT)

This was such a benign implementation of the serious
DCOM security risk, that my conspiracy theory
is ... Microsoft had this worm released on purpose
in an attempt to get everyone to patch their
machines before a really threatening version was
released.

It used dcom.c's bindshell and the transfer method was
TFTP. I don't think Microsoft was behind MSBlast, and
they were probably afraid when it was released. Worms
get more exposure than just security flaws.

Any of these would cause so much harm to Microsoft
from the lawsuits and lost business, that they
couldn't afford to let it remain out there, thus the
conspiracy theory arises.

Microsoft just got lucky. The possibility of a harder
worm is still out there but it wont effect as many as
it would have before MSBlast. This also is a good
example how home users(obvious) dont patch windows and
how microsoft has yet another vulnerable service, but
this time it wasnt IIS.