Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Internet Explorer URL parsing vulnerability

From: John Sage <jsage () finchhaven com>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 08:54:38 -0800

Re: disclosure vs. non-disclosure and M$

From: S G Masood <sgmasood () yahoo com>
Subject: Re: [Full-disclosure] Re: Internet Explorer URL parsing
 vulnerability
To: Feher Tamas <etomcat () freemail hu>, full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 05:44:35 -0800 (PST)

--- Feher Tamas <etomcat () freemail hu> wrote:
Hello,

don't start a disclosure - non disclosure thread
again and again
and again please...

This is about responsible and non-responsible
disclosure, which is at
the heart of security research.

As long as you have no proof that the bug is being
maliciously exploited
in the wild, you need to give time for the sw vendor
to react and patch.

If you are talking about a generic ethic, I sincerely
agree. Slight deviations on this concept might apply
depending on the vendor's track record and the
vulnerability (I am not talking about MS alone).

However, unfortunately, if you are familiar with the
pattern in which MS handled the previous unpatched IE
vulns, this looks like one of those IE vulns. that MS
*WONT* patch.

With the virtually unlimited resources (financially and staff-wise)
available to Micro$oft, why has this sort of vulnerability been left
undiscovered and unpatched by Micro$oft itself?

Put a hundred people on the task of identifying any URL oddities that
IE currently accepts, and patch, patch, patch.

It would take less than a week to fix *all* of this sort of crap.

The fact that someone out in the community at large (once again)
discovers a vuln and publishes it is just an ongoing symptom of the
fundamental problem:

Micro$oft is involved with "Trustworthy Computing" only so much as it
plays well in a press release, and freely accepts the status quo only
so long as it doesn't negatively affect the bottom line.

- John
--
"Most people don't type their own logfiles;  but, what do I care?"
-

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html