Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Avoiding being a good admin - was DCOM RPC exploit (dcom.c)

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:23:50 -0400

Michal Zalewski wrote:

On Tue, 29 Jul 2003, Jason wrote:

Given a conservative half a day downtime for only 100,000 of the more
likely 150,000 employees at a very conservative average burden of $10
per hour you have spent $4,000,000 in productivity losses alone. This
completely ignores costs like lost data, lost confidence, work that has
to be redone...

A-ha, so all of the 150,000 employees maintain a constant rate of
"productivity", and are at a hundred percent of their output capacity, so
that a downtime will cause an irreversible loss they cannot compensate for
by skipping one coffee break after an incident (incidents like this
occuring not particularly often)? And all perform a work that will be
disrupted by an outage?
[snip]

For most companies, an incident like this once in a while is just an
inconvenience. For that reason, they would not consider spending enormous
amounts of money on a better staffed and better educated IT department and
constant monitoring of the threats. Worm comes, worm goes, big deal.

I agree that historically most classic worms will have a negligible impact on the business, especially the outlook/mass mailing type worms. This is changing rapidly, we had increasing warnings with explorer32 then code red then nimda then saphire/slammer...

Most of the worms that cause widespread impact and outage take advantage of poorly configured systems or unpatched systems or a common breakdown of the human part of fixing after following the failure of the technology.

In the case that was presented the worm resulted in a widespread sustained outage for most of the affected organizations lasting one to 2 days before network services were usable and had hold out segments and resurgence in areas for up to weeks. This was 6 months after it hit mind you.

I used low sweeping numbers to represent the case in general to not have to consider all of the possibilities. That is an entire effort itself and does not do well in mail, especially when there are extra 0s and no coffee pumping in my veins. It was to illustrate the point that is costs less to suck it up and do it before and not after the fact.

I find it hard to believe that during the next technology refresh best practices in building these images and disabling these unneeded services by default cannot be done. I also find it hard to believe that this could not have been done in the last technology refresh bringing us to win2k. Especially for a company with 150,000 systems.

I think that there is no excuse for accepting an answer that it can not be done when there has been information readily available for years showing how to do it. It is an education effort and exercise in diligence that may ultimately make a few decide to change industries.

In doing this we will be able to handle most potential worms with this casual attitude of indifference because we will have an extremely limited exposure.

The fact that these worms are becoming more aggressive and more insidious and more common means that we need to start doing this a while ago. The more this is done the less motivation there is to produce the worm. The need for enormous amounts of money and IT resources and constant monitoring will ultimately be reduced significantly as will the cost of the gamble.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html