Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Credit card numbers

From: christopher neitzert <chris () neitzert com>
Date: 17 Jul 2003 13:13:06 -0400

On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 14:57, Dan Stromberg wrote:
On Thu, 2003-07-17 at 10:49, Myers, Marvin wrote:
Maybe it is only me, but does anyone else notice a big jump in the
number of merchants that are printing the entire credit card number
and expiration date on receipts?
Shredders are your friends.  But don't let that stop you from
complaining to the merchant in question.  Don't behead the person behind
the counter - but maybe ask them to relay a message to their manager.
I've seen this quite a bit up here in Reno. Yet up here we have no
anti-identity theft, let alone other information security legislation.

My solution is to cross out with a pen all but the last 4 digits and the
expiry date on BOTH copies of the receipt. This has infuriated a few
local vendors, though it seems that most are easily educated on the
liability it poses.

chris

--
Christopher Neitzert http://www.neitzert.com/~chris
chris(at)neitzert<dot>com - GPG Key ID: 7DCC491B