Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Destroying PCs remotely?

From: madsaxon <madsaxon () direcway com>
Date: Wed, 18 Jun 2003 12:15:52 -0500

At 04:49 PM 6/18/03 +0100, John.Airey () rnib org uk wrote:

Your constitution says (Amendment V) "No person shall ... be deprived of
life, liberty, or property, without due process of law".

Yep, that's exactly my argument against this lunacy. You're tried,
convicted, and sentenced on the spot.  What happens if they make
a mistake and you're not actually trading copyrighted files, or
if you have permission to do so? (For example, I have a music
site, and my band's songs are copyrighted, but anyone may download
them for non-commercial use). Is this system going to be so technically
foolproof that serious mistakes won't be made?  I sincerely doubt it.
Unfortunately, the results of any such error are that someone's private
property is destroyed.

I guarantee you that if people start nuking each other's
computers over the Internet in the name of IP protection, this phantom thing we've been calling "cyberterrorism" will take on a much more
concrete cast.  Welcome back to the old West, partner.  You better
be packin' a six-shooter, cause every other hombre in town is.

m5x

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html