Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: [RHSA-2003:088-01] New kernel 2.2 packages fix vulnerabilities

From: Etaoin Shrdlu <shrdlu () deaddrop org>
Date: Tue, 25 Mar 2003 07:11:28 -0800

Alexander Bartolich wrote:

John.Airey () rnib org uk wrote:
[...] I choose other distro's that doesn't expire their products as soon
as the
next best thing has arrived.
[...] I have a Solaris 2.6 box (even if 9 is out already, and can be
downloaded
for free for that matter) just because it is not possible to upgrade those
machines.

http://www.sun.com.au/support/eosl/

Bad example. Regular Support for 2.6 ended 7/2002.

Sure, but you can still get patches for it. In fact, Sun is still issuing
patches for 2.5.1, and as my memory serves, that came out in 95 or 96.

http://sunsolve.Sun.COM/pub-cgi/show.pl?target=patchpage

Jeeze, they only stopped supporting SunOS a couple of years ago (and I
still have the last full set of patches for 4.1.4). End of regular support
is not the same as end of life (which happened to solaris 2.4 a while
back). Red Hat is out of line (but then I only use Slackware, so what do I
care).

--
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.