Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: PGP vs. certificate from Verisign

From: Jason <security () brvenik com>
Date: Sat, 10 May 2003 16:08:07 -0400

Georgi Guninski wrote:
I am not an expert, but AFAIK at some time the key issuer have your *private* key because they issue the key. I am not comfortable someone else having my private key no matter if they claim they don't keep it.

Georgi

Not in the normal operations of PKI. Briefly, in the classic case the private key is generated at the requesting system and a public key is sent to the issuing authority as a cdertificate signing request for signing. The issuing authority does some validation of stuff and then returns the public key in the form of a signed certificate. This prevents tampering of the contents of the complete certificate by providing a signature created with the private key of the issuer, the public key of the issuer can then be used to verify this signature.

There are implementations that will do key escrow and they are all about being able to recover intellectual properties by the legal owners in the case that the encrypting authority (user) refuses or is unable to provide them. Basically this is for corporations that have PKI and use it to recover from any number of cases that can make it impossible for an employee to decrypt information. Examples would be a car accident that takes the life of the employee or termination...

In this case there are safeguards that are implemented to ensure that the recovery of a key is only possible when justified. It is the equivalent of aligning the stars and planets correctly and then proving that there is a true eclipse even though it should not be happening.

-J

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html