Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Gates: 'You don't need perfect code' for good security

From: "Geoincidents" <geoincidents () getinfo org>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2003 21:20:35 -0500

And recent experience shows that the virus is a world-wide issue before
the new signatures come out for it.

I think that's more a problem for network spreading of a worm like slammer
or email virus than it is for a virus that infects files you might store on
a memory stick. Typically that type of virus spread would be delayed long
enough that AV should be updated already. But yes, what you suggest is a
possibility.

However, I wasn't saying this is how you create a "secure" network, I was
just trying to point out one way to deal with the laptop issue. They aren't
trusted systems, don't put them on the trusted network segments.

Geo.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html