Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: SPAM and "undisclosed recipients"

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Sat, 15 Nov 2003 12:07:53 -0500

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:10:37 EST, Kristian Hermansen <khermansen () ht-technology com>  said:

I have a small question about SPAM emails that are sent to "undisclosed
recipients".  Does this just mean that the server stripped the header before
sending it to my account?  I don't understand how it could make it to my
server, let alone my email account, if nothing was specified.  Does this
raise any security issues?

Mail is actually routed via the RFC821/2821 MAIL FROM and RCPT TO commands, not
by the RFC822/2822 From:/To:/cc:/Bcc: lines.  Think - mail from this list gets to you
even though you're not in the To: line. :)

"undisclosed recipients" just means that somebody/something decided to add into
the rfc822 headers the fact that the mail was bcc'ed to multiple people.

See rfc2822, sections 3.6.3 and 5 about bcc: for more details on this.