Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Windows covert channel

From: 8tImER <8tImER () gmx net>
Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2003 01:48:27 +0200

Hello James,

my guess is you are talking about 'streams' in NTFS.
Example:
Create a text file, save it.
Then use 'echo "hidden text" >> file.txt:1' to add the hidden stuff.
I don't remember how to read that stuff out afterwards though.

--
Greetz,
 8tImER                            mailto:8tImER () gmx net

Originaltext:
Am 20.10.2003 um 01:04:21 hast du geschrieben:

I seem to remember in the dim reaches of my memory a covert channel in
the Windows file system where you could paste one file at the end of
another without it being detectible when you edited the orginal file.

can someone aim me at the right "buzz phrase" that describes this so I
can Google it further?

jim k

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html