Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: No Subject

From: Frank Knobbe <frank () knobbe us>
Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2003 16:44:47 -0500

On Tue, 2003-10-21 at 11:42, Michal Zalewski wrote:
On low endian, you can
change a pointer such as:
  0x08049648
...to be one of the following:
  0x08049600
  0x08040000
  0x08000000

Ah, duh... that just didn't enter my brain since I was focused on the
exploit at hand, which I believe doesn't not allow such a precise
sniping.

Zero overwrites are a tricky business.

heh... hence the question if it really is exploitable.

It's not as much about looking at the code, but looking at the library
malloc() implementation, and then figuring out what can be put on heap and
where. I am way too lazy / too busy to give it much thought - I don't see
any benefit from writing an exploit or proving (?) it is not exploitable.

That brings up a good point. If this issue is not exploitable on *BSD
but on Linux due to a different implementation of memory handling,
doesn't that mean that Linux is generally less secure than *BSD just for
that reason? And if so, why haven't the Linux memory handling routines
been fixed/strengthened?

At first sight, it does not seem to be exploitable on some platforms, on
others, is uncertain at best. Quite frankly, I would expect the exploit to
leak already, or be developed independently, so I am sort of skeptical.

I agree. So the lack of any such activity within a months is a good
indicator for the non-exploitability (exploitivness? exploitivity?) of
this thing.

If it is exploitable and there is an exploit, the public will sooner or
later find out, don't force it if there is no good reason...

I agree that I rather not see an exploit being written. But I'm
extremely curious if it can be done.

My reason, again, is that the advisories came out with "*may* be
exploitable" as Mark noted. I think security advisories should be more
precise and accurate (I know it can't be done always, but hey, please
try). When the advisories hit, especially from some organizations I
don't want to name here, it sounded like FUD feeding. Everyone and their
mother seems to get off on FUD and hype these days. I think we (as the
security community) should do a better job in stating the facts and
should strive to avoid FUD. I especially remember one notice that said
that this issue is already widely exploited... errr... with a bug which
doesn't seem to be exploitable, excuse me? That's the whole reason I got
pissed off weeks ago, and is the reason I really would like to see an
answer to the exploitability. Because if it isn't exploitable, and no
exploit had been in use in the underground, then that would be a clear
indication that certain folks flat out lie and spread FUD to their
benefit. A dangerous precedent if we want the area of security to remain
a serious business.

Cheers,
Frank