Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Worm Propagation Simulation (paper)

From: Tom <tom () lemuria org>
Date: Wed, 22 Oct 2003 15:13:18 +0200

Greetings -

After several cycles through peer-review, I have decided to publish my
paper on simulation of worm propagation algorithms.

This was started as a means to find out just how bad things could in
theory become. It concentrates on the propagation only, I do not
discuss specific exploits and include only a small discussion of
possible payloads.

You can find it at http://web.lemuria.org/security/WormPropagation.pdf

Some results:
Very fast worms (aka flash worms) are possible. Wide-spread destruction
of host systems is possible and will not slow down a properly written
worm, contrary to popular opinion. I also show how such worms could
work (discussion, no code).

--
PGP/GPG key: http://web.lemuria.org/pubkey.html
pub  1024D/2D7A04F5 2002-05-16 Tom Vogt <tom () lemuria org>