Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: RE: Linux (in)security

From: Peter Busser <peter () adamantix org>
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:11:24 +0200

Hi!

You're investing a significant amount of time into convincing us that
linux boxes sitting on the internet (even when completely up to date and
reasonably locked down) aren't 100% secure.

Rest easy, each and every one of us knows this.

I would certainly hope so. :-) What I try to point out (and fail to do so it
seems) is that there are relatively simple methods that can already help quite
a bit to improve secutity of a Linux box.

If you read the following URL:
http://groups.google.com/groups?selm=20030525190037%2470c6%40gated-at.bofh.it

You'll see that one box got hacked 37 times in a year. The other box 0 times.
The difference: A kernel patch called PaX.

It seems to me that not all insecurity is created equal.

The point raised by others in this thread (which you seem to object to,
although you haven't really responded to) is that linux (operated by a
knowlegable user) is 'stronger' than a similar Microsoft box.

How relevant, the wooden house vs. the grass house argument. The fact that
MS-Windows is less secure does not make Linux more secure. I think it is even
counter productive. If MS-Windows was perceived as more secure than Linux,
people would spend a lot of time improving the security of Linux systems. Now
there is the idea that it is not worth the effort, because Linux is after all
secure.

Groetjes,
Peter Busser
--
The Adamantix Project
Taking trustworthy software out of the labs, and into the real world

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html