Full Disclosure mailing list archives

NAV 2003 vuln

From: "GARCIA Lionel (SOGETI France EXPLOITATION SUD)" <lionel.garcia () airbus com>
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2003 14:52:46 +0100

Hi there ! Source:
http://www.digitalpranksters.com/advisories/symantec/InternetSec2003.html

RISK: LOW
PRODUCT: Norton Internet Security 2003 v6.0.4.34 (Maybe others we only
tested this version)

PRODUCT URL: http://www.symantec.com/sabu/nis/nis_pe/index.html
DP PUBLIC ADVISORY RELEASED: October 27, 2003
FOUND BY: KrazySnake - krazysnake () digitalpranksters com

PROBLEM:
When Norton Internet Security 2003 blocks a web site, it returns a web page
to the browser stating that the site has been blocked. This error message
contains the URL which was requested. Norton Internet Security 2003 appears
to do no validation or encoding of the URL before returning it in the error
message. This allows an attacker to supply a URL that contains script. This
script will run in the context of the blocked site.

We have marked this as a low risk because we believe in most situations,
there will be little information of interest since the site is normally
blocked (browser cookies from the blocked site probably do not exist, etc).
However this does allow sites that are blocked to run script on the victim's
machine when it shouldn't be allowed.

The HTML returned by Norton Internet Security 2003 when a site is blocked
looks like the following:

</b>http://server/page.cgi?<SCRIPT>alert(document.domain)</SCRIPT></p>
Symantec <a
href="http://www.symantec.com/avcenter/cgi-bin/nisurl.cgi?lang=EN&unblock=xx
xxxxxxx">Internet
Security Center</a> to report it.</p>

PROOF OF CONCEPT:
A URL like
http://BlockedSite/page.cgi?<SCRIPT>alert(document.domain)</SCRIPT> will run
script.

RESOLUTION:
The fix is now available through the product's LiveUpdate functionality.

GREETINGS:
SkippyInside, AngryB, and Harmo.
Thanks to Symantec for fixing this issue.

DISCLAIMER:
Standard disclaimer applies. The opinions expressed in this advisory are our
own and not of any company. The information within this advisory may change
without notice. Use of this information constitutes acceptance for use in an
AS IS condition. There are no warranties with regard to this information. In
no event shall the author be liable for any damages whatsoever arising out
of or in connection with the use or spread of this information. Any use of
this information is at the user's own risk.