Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Re: Do you really think CDs will be protected in future?

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:42:46 -0400

Agreed, for the most part. As I work for a retailer, however, I know that
what consumers think is irrelevant to the record folks. The retailer I work
for has an agreement with it's suppliers such that once a customer opens a
CD (or DVD, VHS tape, software package, etc) they cannot return it, unless
the media is defective, in which case they get another copy of the same
product only. So if your newly purchased CD is copy protected and won't play
in your CD player, you're stuck with it anyway, unless you want to get
another copy of the same useless disc.

Hi Phillip,

Very good points.  As I am occasionally a consumer, however, I
understand that consumers quite often have little respect for
retailer/supplier agreements -- specifically, if an item doesn't work,
it should be replaced with another /which does/.

If  my-newly purchased album and its subsequent replacement both failed
to play in my cd player I would be fairly adamant about receiving a
refund, regardless of any existing agreements between retailer and
supplier.  I would expect any reasonable business bureau would agree,
no?

Take care,

Cael

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.