Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Microsoft Outlines New Initiatives in Ongoing Security Efforts To Help Customers

From: "Edward W. Ray" <support () mmicman com>
Date: Thu, 9 Oct 2003 21:32:26 -0700

    -- Updates to Microsoft(R) Windows(R) XP and Windows Server(TM)
       2003 with new safety technologies that will make Windows more
       resistant to attack even if patches do not yet exist or have
       not been installed

 I suppose they are going to try to put buffer overflow protections for the
various services that run as "SYSTEM" (otherwise known as root access to the
Linux/Unix world) privileges.  Nice thought if it is true, but that kernel
is so F!*KED I cannot see how they could implement it.

Edward W. Ray
SANS GCIA. GCIH

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html