Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: NSRG-Security SaS Encryption cracked

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Wed, 15 Oct 2003 12:44:58 -0400

On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 01:55:10 CDT, Paul Tinsley <pdt () jackhammer org>  said:

    full-disclosure it inspired me to audit a few websites myself.  I started
    with the author of all the IMHO frivolous postings and found that he
    "encrypted" his website with something called SaS that his group wrote.

Since the transmitted HTML needs to be (eventually) interpreted as HTML, there
are only two basic options:

1) Settle for mere obfuscation and a snippet of reverse-engineerable Javascript
or similar that decodes the obfuscated input to HTML that the browser will
accept.

2) Use a public-key or shared-secret system wherein each client gets a
potentially different version of the page (note that this includes the case of
an HTTP authentication failing and giving you an error page).

Again, to repeat - without some sort of per-client unique key, all you can do
is obfuscate, and said obfuscation has to be done in a programmable reversible
way to be at all useful.