Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: OpenSSH - is X-Force really behind this?

From: Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu
Date: Mon, 22 Sep 2003 11:31:03 -0400

On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 12:06:03 +0200, Michal Zalewski said:

    ...why would there be any exploits in the wild if they have
    indeed discovered the flaw on their own? Though I'm trying
    really hard, I can't read "we discovered a flaw" as "we have
    overheard about a flaw" or "we are aware of a flaw".

Charles Darwin and Alfred Wallace independently came up with
the concept of natural selection.

Remember - it's open source, it isn't like the ISS X-Force guys sprinkled
magic exploit dust on a printout and the flaw was revealed to them alone.
More likely, they found the bug, and then realized that if they could find
it, a black hat with an unpublished exploit could have found it too.