Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Why does a home computer user need DCOM?

From: Nick FitzGerald <nick () virus-l demon co uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Sep 2003 00:05:43 +1200

hobbit () avian org (*Hobbit*) wrote:

Once again, I wouldn't mind a way to turn off *ALL* the RPC stuff,
including the RPC service itself, without paying the price of having
almost everything I do afterward just sit there and stupidly wait for it
to respond.  A box with it disabled *will* run, just barely, it'll just
be sluggish as hell.

Or at the very least a way to run it so it doesn't listen on a socket
bound to *.  How 'bout localhost-only, or the equivalent of unix-domain
pipes, or *something* to keep it insulated from the network??  How 'bout
the same for SMB/tcp 445?

Argh.  There's probably some registry hack that *could* do that.

Yes, yes and yes (well, to many of your wishes and depending on which
Windows flavour you have...).

How many times do I have to post the following link???

Perhaps the best article on making sense of the (idiotic) default MS
service binding mess is:

   http://www.hsc.fr/ressources/breves/min_srv_res_win.en.html.en

Regards,

Nick FitzGerald