Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: 9/11 virus

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <rgerhards () hq adiscon com>
Date: Thu, 11 Sep 2003 15:39:53 +0200

actually, as an advise to microsoft, it may be a good idea to not follow
the doubleclick paradigm if

a) it is any kind of executable

AND

b) it has two dots in it

The later could also specifically look at .jpg.exe and such. We filter
many of these constructs at the gateway level. It's easy and it works.
The only thing is that you must always catch up with those 20+ year old
file extensions that turn out to be executable... A complete list from
Microsoft would be very helpful. A partial list compiled by us is here
(a German page, but I bet you get the idea ;))

<http://www.exchange-antivirus.de/Support/Empfehlung-zu-sperrende-Dateie
rweiterungen.asp>

And, yes, this is an ugly long URL and it will most probably be broken
by your mail client. So be sure to reassmble it before entering it into
the browser ;)

Rainer