Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Blocking Music Sharing.

From: Cael Abal <lists () onryou com>
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2003 14:07:37 -0400

Due to the legal issues, I am trying to block access to sites like Kazaa
and Limewire in the office.  If I am not mistaken, these networks can
use different ports each time, so there is no way to block it at the
firewall.  Is this right?  And if so, what is the best way to block
access to these types of sites?

Hi Mark,

I'm of the opinion that most legal issues shouldn't be dealt with at the technical level, but on the policy level. Some folks disagree, though.

Consider these:

- traditional copyright infringement (photocopier or http/ftp)
- inappropriate material (porn via http)
- offensive jokes (via e-mail or water cooler chat)

Instead of spending significant time and effort crafting snort rules (and recrafting them each time a new file-sharing app surfaces) why not lump file-sharing apps in with the above, and hand the entire thing off to your legal department?

Don't have a legal department? There are plenty of Acceptable Use Policy templates available online.

take care,

Cael

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html