Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Verisign abusing .COM/.NET monopoly, BIND releases new

From: Brian Hatch <full-disclosure () ifokr org>
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2003 22:59:39 -0700

Actually I figured out how to use it to my advantage. I query "." which
is my own DNS server of course as a ip4r blacklist and if the IP for
verisign's site is returned then I give the spam a very high score. Any
domain that doesn't exist would fail this, but any other domain would
not return that IP, but rather the proper IP.  I'm still pissed at
Verisign, but I always try to turn a problem in to an opportunity so
now I'm using their greed to block spam.

Hey, here's another example.  Since they list other urls that
you may have wanted, it's a good way to find similar existing
domains, without you ever issuing your own whois/etc queries.

And I like the irony of them performing the service for you.

--
Brian Hatch                  "Strategic analysts in Earthdome
   Systems and                have indicated they don't know

Every message PGP signed