Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: !SPAM! Automated ssh scanning

From: Ron DuFresne <dufresne () winternet com>
Date: Thu, 26 Aug 2004 12:26:04 -0500 (CDT)

On Thu, 26 Aug 2004, Stephen Agar wrote:

I think many of you are missing the point. Yes the guest/guest account is
weak, but this kernel is (according to debian) patched..therefore free from
local exploits that can be used to gain superuser access. I mean if this
were the case, then any box that ran this version of debian to do something
like "web hosting" that gave users shell access, may as well give them all
full sudo. Because you people are assuming that if someone can gain access
to the box, secured or not, they can gain root..i disagree.

The issue here is why does debain include such a weak account,m thaqt has
not been tamed via a very restricted chroot env!?

I feel totally confident that if you gain access to my FreeBSD 4.10 box with
an unpriveleged account (not that you will, of course) then you will remain
an "unpriveleged user" no local root exploit....no worries.

As Barry pointed to directly, it all depends upon what you make available
to your clients once in a shell.  It;s very likely your server would be as
exploitable as most 'default' installs with the kitchen sink dropped in.
Perhaps not, but likely, depending upon what you 'installed and allow
clients access to'.

Thanks,

Ron DuFresne

--stephen