Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: FW: Question for DNS pros

From: Mark <fd () mchsi com>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 2004 23:40:19 -0500

John Hall wrote:

Frank Knobbe wrote:

Hello John,

glad to see you guys are keeping up with all the current stuff going on
in lists ;)

I had sent a dump earlier. It is attached again below. The TCP SYN
packets do indeed start with IPID 1 and move up to 3.

Yup, the TCP SYN packets I see do the same with the IPID. (Embarrassed I missed that the first time I looked at them.) ;)

However, these all
come from the same IP address. Also, there doesn't appear to be anything
in regards to "round-trip". I mean, your devices send the SYN's but
nothing is coming back. Are you expecting DNS querying device to have an
open DNS port on TCP and are expecting a SYN-ACK?
No, but most DNS servers *will* respond with a RST which is just as
valuable for reachability and RTT measurements.  We accept either
response.

I disagree, if it is a DNS *server* I would think it wouldn't respond with a RST. It would respond with a SERV FAIL because it's not authoritative for that domain.

That I can understand. But what the heck is the purpose of performing
two DNS queries against the host that is querying a 3DNS balanced
server? Seems a bit invasive to me for measuring trip time... :)

Agreed Frank, why would they bother asking in the first place? How do you even know you are asking a DNS server? It could just be a mis-configured client. It would seem to me that would only provide you with the quickest way to query what may or may not be a DNS server that may or may not be authoritative for a domain.

In general, most sites use local forwarding DNS servers that do the
recursive lookups for all the clients at that site, so our probes
measure the RTT from each datacenter to that forwarding DNS server
and maintain that data so we can make intelligent decisions the next
time a client from that site (via that local forwarder) makes a request.

In any case. I'm glad to see that there is a normal explanation for
this, and this does not appear to be an attack mounted by China.

Although I think we may have resolved the issue of what is causing those strange packets... I would like to see a whitepaper or something describing how this technique improves the performance of, well; anything.

The above paragraph is off topic. E-Mail me off list if you want to discuss that topic further.

Regards,
Mark

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html