Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Tipping Point IPS systems

From: Richard Johnson <rdump () river com>
Date: Thu, 05 Aug 2004 06:55:35 -0600

In article
<8CFE45BE48312B48940923D31F91BF1F0A2C0ADD () oh18ex06 reyrey com>,
 "Forbes, Robert" <Robert_Forbes () reyrey com> wrote:

Really the Cadillac of IPS, it is designed for high load networks. We were
very impressed with it but it carries a hefty price tag for that
performance.

Tipping Point UnityOne Intrusion Prevention Systems (augh, -hate- that
IPS jargon, it's a transparent firewall with packet inspection :-) can
keep up with real-world traffic levels at large academic sites.  As we
all move to 10gig networking, though...

Netscreen (now Juniper) IDP systems can keep up with most present
levels too, very likely at a lower price.  Of course, they're not going
to do 10gig filtering yet, either.

In my view, the higher Tipping Point price mainly buys you a much more
mature and focused signature/detect development process than you get
(yet?) with the somewhat newer Netscreen and other competitive
offerings.  That may well be worth it to you if your staffing is like
ours.

Richard

--
My mailbox. My property. My personal space. My rules. Deal with it.
                        http://www.river.com/users/share/cluetrain/

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html