Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: New Security web site: http://exploitwatch.org

From: Harlan Carvey <keydet89 () yahoo com>
Date: Fri, 6 Aug 2004 07:25:20 -0700 (PDT)

Thanks for the reply.

True, but as I said: "Some web-sites and mailing
lists
already provide this functionality, but we have
found them
way too slow to publish new updates as well as being
incomplete."

Right, I caught that, too.

We focus on exploits only, and aim to increase
awareness and publish information
faster and more systematically than existing
services do.

Faster is good.  But how do you plan to address the
issue of completeness?  Also, since you're focusing
only on exploits (and not the vulnerabilities that
lead to the actual exploits), I'm really curious to
see how you plan to address completeness in that
sense.  Specifically...if a vulnerability exists, it's
clear that you're not going to address it until
someone actually exploits it.  Once the vulnerability
gets exploited, from what you've said, you're going to
"publish information faster"...but what information?
In the vast majority of cases, when a company gets a
vulnerability exploited, all we hear is that they were
compromised, but not what vulnerability was actually
exploited.

Thanks.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html