Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: (no subject)

From: Maarten <fulldisc () ultratux org>
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2004 03:35:31 +0200

On Saturday 14 August 2004 02:52, Valdis.Kletnieks () vt edu wrote:
On Fri, 13 Aug 2004 21:17:44 +0200, Maarten said:
The only thing Todd (and I) are trying to say is that it is possible to
rename after the fact.  I don't #!%$&* care how many old Cobol programs
need adapting for that to "get" possible, but the fact remains that it
IS.

The question is *in fact* what ROI the companies get for modifying all that
old Cobol.  "Possible" and "worth doing" are two different things...

Oh definitely.  I do not contest that.  But these posts saying "not possible"
from a technical / logistical standpoint started to irritate me...
But sure, until there is an economic reason for change, there won't be.

How about mergers, or international intelligence-exchange between law
enforcement agencies.  Do you think that they let anyone stop them by
complaining that database format X isn't readily compatible with format Y
? No. They fix it, they make it work together no matter what.

Actually, that isn't always the case.

http://www.publicintegrity.org/report.aspx?aid=332&sid=100

Yes, a database so borked that copying it could break it.

Hahaha.  Great link, thanks...  Although this may happen, it sounds to me like
a political issue rather than a technical one.  When you can retrieve data
you can copy it (by however [inefficient] means is irrelevant now).

Hell, we're talking about an industry which as a whole *continues* to keep
spewing out 'We removed a virus/worm' warnings to known not-at-fault
addresses - presumably the (probably very low) cost of ceasing to do so is
counterbalanced by the advertising benefit of the spam. If they won't do
*THAT* little thing that's *obviously* in the public interest, why should
they change the way they name stuff, at probably higher cost, and less
obvious benefit?

Hear hear...!
Good point.

Maarten

--
Yes of course I'm sure it's the red cable. I guarante[^%!/+)F#0c|'NO CARRIER

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html