Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Flaws security feature of SP2

From: "Jonathan Rickman" <jonathan () xcorps net>
Date: Mon, 16 Aug 2004 11:20:10 -0400

Exploiting this issue requires the ability to overwrite
existing files wich have a trusted or non-existant ZoneID.
Right now there is no known way to achieve this in an attack
mounted from the Internet.

Ok. So if I have the ability to do that, isn't it safe to say that I already
control the box?

Vendor status
-------------
heise Security has notified Microsoft about both issues on
August 12. Microsoft Security Response Center
responded:

"We have investigated your report, as we do with all reports,
however in this case, we don't see these issues as being in
conflict with the design goals of the new protections. We are
always seeking improvements to our security protections and
this discussion will certainly provide additional input into
future security features and improvements, but at this time
we do not see these as issues that we would develop patches
or workarounds to address."

I'm inclined to agree with them. I see the potential for problems as you
have pointed out, but I guess I need a little help in understanding how this
could ever be more than a theoretical vulnerability. Could you perhaps
elaborate and maybe toss in a hypothetical situation or two to help me see
what you're driving at?

--
Jonathan

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.