Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Electronic Voting Machines - WinVote by Adv anced Voting Solutions

From: "David L. Dill" <elections () chicory Stanford EDU>
Date: Sat, 21 Aug 2004 11:11:21 -0700

So far as I know, no one denies that denial of service attacks against
wireless are basically unstoppable.  However, wireless interfaces in
touch-screen machines are not intended for use during actual voting.
They are for downloading ballots before the election, and, sometimes,
uploading results after the election.

The primary concerns about wireless are computer security concerns.
I am personally VERY concerned.  It's very hard to make sure that
wireless connections are turned off during the election, and wireless
opens lots of security threats that wouldn't be serious otherwise.

Not long ago I sent out a mail regarding electronic voting, it was
related to a politically motivated thread though so many likely filtered
it. I suggest anyone interested take a tour of the verified voting
website. They have fairly in depth coverage and information you may find
useful. I also suggest you take the time to get involved and have an impact.

http://www.verifiedvoting.org/

It is a US based site and debate however there is plenty of information
on worldwide usage of paperless voting systems for others that may be
interested.

Mister Coffee wrote:
Actually, no it's not illegal, and no, it's not especially dangerous.
While FCC regs require Ham operators to use the "lowest practical
power" in their communications, that is something that's open to
interpretation.  Hams on some freqs crank out 1500 watts quite
readily - and safely.  We're not talking about a WiFi card in your
laptop, or a cell phone next to your head - there are safety
considerations and limits of exposure and such.  But your statement
that it's illegal and dangerous is patently untrue for the amature
radio crowd.

Hams are, incidently, the Primary Users for the lower 6 channels (US
spec) used by WiFi.

Cheers, L4J