Full Disclosure mailing list archives

RE: Re: Second critical mremap() bug found in a ll Linux kernels

From: John.Airey () rnib org uk
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 14:59:01 -0000

-----Original Message-----
From: Geo. [mailto:geoincidents () getinfo org]
Sent: 19 February 2004 13:39
To: full-disclosure () lists netsys com
Subject: RE: [Full-disclosure] Re: Second critical mremap()
bug found in
all Linux kernels

Yes but it doesn't mean that we have to deliver tools any
script kiddie
can take and go ahead for hacking!<<

I submit to the security industry that this is exactly what
is required.
Allow me to explain.

Without worms, virus, and hacking, exactly what reason would
the masses of
high bandwidth home machines have to patch? What would
motivate the armies
of lazy computer owners to lock their machines down so that
the internet is
not at risk of someone using known exploits to build an army
of floodbots
and take control of the internet flooding off anyone who opposes them?

It is a very real danger that we have already seen beginning
and if security
is not a concern then how do we protect ourselves from this
sort of thing
happening?

One solution is report exploits, allow vendors sufficient
time to create and
test patches, allow the masses sufficient time to apply those
patches, then
release point and shoot exploit code so that the remaining unpatched
machines are now at a very real risk. Provide script kiddie
tools that don't
allow control but do allow you to effect just the exploitable
box by perhaps
coding them to make it easy to shutdown the box (high
annoyance factor but
not perm damage). This provides the motivation to secure the
world network
so that the number of exploitable boxes doesn't reach such a
level that no
segment is safe.

Digital Darwinism.

I don't think we need to encourage people to do nasty things to computers to
secure them. There are plenty of people capable of doing such things with or
without publicly posted exploit code. The human race isn't as wonderful as
some would like to pretend it is. Can you name one invention that hasn't
been abused one way or another?

Note that I am not saying we shouldn't distribute this code, but I would say
be wary of any litigation or arrest that may come your way if you do so.

At the risk of another dodgy car analogy, would it be OK to drive down the
pavement/sidewalk and run over anyone who doesn't get out of the way quick
enough? That's a form of Natural Selection, is it not? Which is why people
don't really believe in evolution.

I also doubt any population control activists would through themselves at
the car either, but that's getting way way off-topic.

-
John Airey, BSc (Jt Hons), CNA, RHCE
Internet systems support officer, ITCSD, Royal National Institute of the
Blind,
Bakewell Road, Peterborough PE2 6XU,
Tel.: +44 (0) 1733 375299 Fax: +44 (0) 1733 370848 John.Airey () rnib org uk

According to the book of Acts, Eutychus was the first man to suffer from a
General Protection Fault with Windows.

-
DISCLAIMER:

and any attachments from your system.