Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: A new look at PGP (WAS: Re: OpenPGP (GnuPG) vs. S/MIME)

From: gadgeteer () elegantinnovations org
Date: Fri, 27 Feb 2004 23:21:38 -0700

On Fri, Feb 27, 2004 at 11:13:38PM -0600, Troy Solo (solo () dok org) wrote:
In my opinion, it would be too easy to create false "Webs of Trust"
through something like Orkut.  I personally have people on my friends
list that I've never actually met in person.

Those that know or learn this trait about you will then give you a very
low value of trust for the computation of their web-of-trust matrix. This
was a major consideration in designing the way web-of-trust works.

As has already been pointed out in this thread (and others before it)
all current implementations have too great a friction for widespread
acceptance, use, or understanding.  End of story.
--
Chief Gadgeteer
Elegant Innovations

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.