Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Apparently the practice was prevalent

From: Luke Norman <luke () normanonline co uk>
Date: Sun, 08 Feb 2004 19:36:35 +0000

hggdh wrote:

So obviously there are people out there that will have to scramble to
get their things back working. After all, MS suddenly took it out...
and, also expected, MS would have to provide a backdoor. We can just
hope that a future fix will take it out for once and for all.

I'm afraid I disagree. Surely its better to disable by default, but leave it so that it can be turned on if necessary. People argue that windows needs to be shipped with services turned off, but not removed completely - a virus could turn these services on, but that isn't sufficient cause for removing them. It's a user preference, and if I want to be able to enter urls in user:pass@host format, then I should be given the option to do so

Luke

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html