Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: Another Low Blow From Microsoft: MBSA Failure!

From: "morning_wood" <se_cur_ity () hotmail com>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2004 10:38:22 -0800

did you try exploit code to verify? that should dispel any ambiguity
across scanner reports, it would be real easy to load your network
hosts into a batch file or shell script and see how many "roots" you get.

Given the number of cases we see of somebody posting an actual PoC for
a vulnerability that *doesn't* *work* on some machines, I'd really hate
to bet my security on "Oh, the exploit we tried didn't work, we must be
safe".
Remember - if the exploit works, you have a problem.  Failure of the
exploit to work does NOT mean you don't have a problem

obviously, no need to nitpick the fine points ok.
I KNOW "you" know what I mean and I do not consider
PoC testing "routine", I was meerly suggesting an alternate
method for the poster to verify, he had 2 ways to test, I suggested
a 3rd to raise his confidence factor in his unclear testing results.

m.wood

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html