Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: whois.crsnic.net hacked?

From: Alexander Schreiber <als () thangorodrim de>
Date: Thu, 1 Jan 2004 15:35:10 +0100

On Tue, Dec 30, 2003 at 02:24:29PM -0500, Brown, James (Jim) wrote:
Following up on earlier post.  FreeBSD whois defaults
to whois.crsnic.net

It appears that whois.crsnic.net is owned:

It appears you have no idea what you are talking about.

whois -h whois.crsnic.net microsoft.com

Whois Server Version 1.3

Domain names in the .com and .net domains can now be registered
with many different competing registrars. Go to http://www.internic.net
for detailed information.

MICROSOFT.COM.ZZZ.IS.0WNED.AND.HAX0RED.BY.SUB7.NET
MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.LIVE.FOREVER.BECOUSE.UNIXSUCKS.COM
MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.CRASH.IN.6MN.ORG
MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.BE.SLAPPED.IN.THE.FACE.BY.MY.BLUE.VEINED.SPANNER.NET
MICROSOFT.COM.WILL.BE.BEATEN.WITH.MY.SPANNER.NET
MICROSOFT.COM.WAREZ.AT.TOPLIST.GULLI.COM
MICROSOFT.COM.WANADOODOO.COM

None of which are within the namespace of the 'microsoft.com' domain.

This is normal and expected behaviour. Your whois query searches for the
_substring_ 'microsoft.com' and returns all matches. If I owned the
domain 'example.net' I could set up a record

'thrupoint.net.makes.a.really.bad.example.net'

and a whois query for the substring 'thrupoint.net' would later find it.

It would _not_ be a sign that I somehow managed to hack the whois
servers. It would only show that within the namespace of a domain I own
I can put whatever names I damn well please.

Regards,
      Alex.
--
 looks like work."                                      -- Thomas A. Edison

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html