Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: will this virus(W32.novarg.a) infect people using wine in linux?

From: Dave Sherohman <esper () sherohman org>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 10:56:58 -0600

On Tue, Jan 27, 2004 at 12:33:10PM +0530, Akash Mahajan wrote:
If someone executes an infected pif/scr file using wine in linux, will
the pc get infected?

I would expect the wine subsystem to be infectable (provided that the
malware in question is wine-compatible - not all win32 software runs
on wine, after all), but it should not be able to affect anything
outside of wine other than by going out and corrupting files or
deleting them outright.  (Even then, it would be limited to files
that are writable by the user wine is running as.)

--
The freedoms that we enjoy presently are the most important victories of the
White Hats over the past several millennia, and it is vitally important that

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html