Full Disclosure mailing list archives

Re: antivirus s/w

From: Damian Gerow <damian () sentex net>
Date: Tue, 27 Jan 2004 16:03:59 -0500

Thus spake Bryan K. Watson (bwatson () nettracers com) [27/01/04 15:57]:
Especially with virii spoofing the "From" field now. It just ends up with
somebody at random getting the response, which is likely to cause more
confusion.

The problem is not just antivirus software...the SMTP RFC states that mail
servers must be polite as well....so all the sysadmins have to deal with
purging all those double bounces from faked headers and invalid
destinations.

~postmaster/.procmailrc:

    :0:
    * ^Subject: (Postmaster (notify|warning)|Could not send message for|Returned mail)
    double-bounce

(Note that this will need to change if you send mail from postmaster@.)

Not terribly difficult.  IMHO, dealing with false virus notifications -- and
servers that 'politely' strip the worm code before it gets to you -- is a
bigger pain.  I actually get more 'disinfected' viruses than viruses
themselves.  Until we see a virus that attaches itself to valid messages
(which I bet will be Real Soon Now), there's no need to just disinfect an
e-mail.

Full-Disclosure - We believe in it.
Charter: http://lists.netsys.com/full-disclosure-charter.html